Having a "bill", and John gets shot

Back then I was a kid we did our shopping at the local grocery store. Sure we had super markets like Bohack and A and P, but you only went there if you were going to buy a lot of groceries and that of course meant money. The local market was run by a strong, yet kind gentleman named John, John allowed you to have a "bill", a running tab for items you couldn't pay for at the time, and that was a life saver every month when funds were low. I remember a couple of things I absolutely loved getting at the store, one was ham with mustard on Italian bread with an ice cold bottle of Pepsi, and sour pickles. The pickles were in a big open wine barrel where the pickles floated in a sour liquid along with a fine assortment of flies. Never gave much mind to the flies, never got sick enjoying those pickles.

To earn some pocket change I used to go grocery shopping for Mrs. Jennings, she lived in the next building over. One day she gave me her list of groceries to buy and $20. After picking out all of the groceries John put them in a sack but I couldn't find the $20! I started crying and John asked me what was wrong, I told him I lost the $20 Mrs. Jennings gave me, I told him to hang on and ran out the store and looked around frantically the short distance from Mrs. Jennings to the store looking for the $20, I didn't find it. When I went back to the store and told John, he said not to worry and gave me the change from the $20 minus the cost of groceries. I told him that I will help him around the store by stacking the shelves and dusting to thank him for what he did.

A few day later after I was done with my chores at the store I bid John a good night and left. The next day I found out that John was shot to death in an attempted robbery. When I went to the store I noticed something, one of the bullets hit a row of cigarette cartons, you could see the bullets trajectory through the cartons, that image is still burned in my memory. There's only a handful of people who help you through life, honor them be passing on their legacy by helping others in need.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tragedy

Canarsie